Happy Monday. I thought I'd start the week with an inspirational post to get us started on the right foot. Last week, I attended the Essence and Johnson and Johnson Path to Power: Lessons in Self-Care event in Atlanta. It was an awesome event and just the thing I needed to learn how to better take care of myself while succeeding in business any my personal life. For important life lessons, check this post out!
I arrived at the event and was treated with hand massages from Aveeno, an Acuvue photbooth so that we could take professional headshots, as well as wine. I settled in with my Chardonnay until the panel got started. Who was on the panel may you ask?
WHO: Kandi Burruss, Grammy Award Winning Singer/Songwriter; Entrepreneur
Aeva Gaymon-Doomes, MD. Board certified physician (specializing in Psychiatry)
Trina Small, Fashion Blogger for Baby Shopaholic
Wanda Hope, Chief Diversity Officer, Johnson & Johnson
ESSENCE Senior Editor Charli Penn [moderator]
It was interesting hearing a group of very powerful women share how they became successful and how they manage their households, striving for a work life balance. Here are some tips I picked up:
- Know what your plan is first before making the leap into a new venture.
- Use a journal to chronicle your ideas, and the steps to get there
- Take baby steps. Even if you don't have a lot of money at first, make moves to get you going
- Have a support team that you can rely on
- Take those vacation days, you earned them!
- Prioritize both at work and at home
- Share your family calendar
- Make time to eat even if it means blocking your lunch hour every day
- Take care of yourself
- Get adequate sleep
- Find what relaxes you and treat yourself
- If you look good you feel good
- Use exercise to keep your mind and body fresh
The panel was very inspiring and I was definitely motivated to take on the world. I also left with a lovely goody bag. Unfortunately the Neutrogena Healthy Skin Foundation wasn't always in my shade, I've alwated wanted to try it. But best believe, it will go towards a giveaway soon!
Hope you all enjoyed this inspirational post. If you have any helpful tips to help take care of yourself, please leave them in the comments below!