This blog post was way overdue...but I wanted to make sure that it included every single piece of knowledge and all the pictures I could fit in. I attended an amazing class featuring Celebrity MUA and my personal inspiration Sam Fine a few weeks ago. The class was packed full of makeup enthusiasts and artists just eager to learn from the man himself. I have video, plenty of pics and tips!
First off, let's go ahead and congratulate Sam on his new appointment as Creative Director for Fashion Fair. Everything that Sam touches turns to gold. I personally cannot wait to see what they come up with and believe me, you will be seeing a haul and review.
Check out the quick video! He teaches us how to prevent concealer from creasing and how to do the "makeup face".
OMG, check out his kit! I did not spare on the pictures:
Sam loves Cargo Laguna, Iman Bark Blush (discontinued...can you believe he accidentally dropped it and it shattered during class? so sad), YSL #1 and #3 Loose powders, Kiehl's Ultra Creme d'Elegance
Sam prefers Wedge sponges to stipple and apply foundation...he'll use powder brushes to whisk away excess powder.
Sam loves to bleach his client's brows to lighten them. I agree!
Check out Sam's homemade lipstick case.
Before Shot of Sam's Model - Gorgeous Bone Structure!
- On the model Sam uses Dermablend concealer and Black Opal Hazelnut foundation
- Use a tissue in your foundation application - separate the two-ply and blot after foundation and concealer application to prevent creasing. This reduces the shine but keeps the color and coverage.
- YSL #3 loose powder to set - Apply with sponge and whisk away the excess with a brush. In the show below, you can see how Sam literally traces out the contour with the powder - amazing!
- Use liquids in tandem with cream. For example, Sam will use lighter coverage liquid foundations on the outer perimeter of the face where less coverage is needed...he'll blend this into a heavier cream foundation in the center of the face where more coverage is needed. He does this with Gabrielle Union, just to name a few.
- Cream foundation is more maleable, easier to mix, and offers higher coverage.
- Contour with foundation because it doesn't look like a powder and you have time to work with it-it doesn't dry. In this picture, Sam is using a Black Opal foundation which he put inside a MAC container for easier access.
- Sam doesn't use correctors, instead he layers concealer for coverage
- You don't have to match the center of the face, just relate
- Apply brow gel before and after
- Sam used Damone Roberts black and brown brow pencil on the model.
- Start at the middle of the brow, softer in front, go a shade lighter than your normal brow color.
Sam believes that the everyday woman should have the following basic items in their makeup bag:
- Loose setting powder
On pricing for makeup artists - depends on the following:
- Pricing is related to bragging rights
- Remember, this is a business
- Depends on the market you're in
- Remember, we don't get a raise as a MUA
- Include compensation for gas/mileage
Tips for Makeup Artists
- No matter how long you've been with a client, try something different - be a servant but have a point of view
- Know what you're good at and learn where to grow
- It's okay to condense your kit - every makeup artist experiences anxiety doing this, but it's okay!
- For contouring dark skin tones, try using eyeshadow such as a burgundy tone, just make sure it has pigment
- Even out lip colors with concealer, then use lip liner and follow with color
- When doing makeup for television and film - no shimmer!
Sam's Everyday Makeup Commandments
- Do what you're comfortable with and take your time
- Never forget, moisturizer first!
- Conceal - Spackle before you paint (uses dermablend)
- It's not about the product, how you use it
Check out me and my Blogger girls Natural Chica and CurlyGirlLexi
My girl Mattie asked Sam, "What advice would you give Sam 20 years ago?" Here's his response:
- Get incorporated and get a tax account sooner
- Be less judgement of yourself (words of wisdom!)
Check out some of the goodies we picked up!
Thank you to Marian Anderson of www.hautetravelsbeauty.blogspot.com for hosting the event!
Last but not least, I love this picture!